Saturday, January 14, 2012

With a little help from my friends

One of the projects on my "to do list for 2012" is hooking the rug Midnight Watch.  This Midnight Watch hooked rug is an adaptation by Sandy Williams of the Blackbird Design Midnight Watch.  AppleJack and I visited Sandy at her shop, American Whatever in Liberty, Missouri in 2010.  I think I mentioned her shop is awesome!  I mean totally awesome, think you have died and gone to heaven awesome!

American Whatever has the most lovely collection of wools, hooked rugs, and applique pieces one can image.  If there is a hooked rug hall of fame, Sandy is in it.  After meeting Sandy, we both realized we were kindred spirits loving wool, hooked rugs, people with creativity and the hands willing to work and learn.  Our friendship was sealed when I met Miss Rosie, her cat companion.

Sandy, my kindred spirit is always willing to give assistance.  For example:  I wrote to her and said:  Sandy, I am ready to start hooking Midnight Watch but I need help with some of the wools.  Guess what arrived via UPS today!  Are these not the most delicious wools you have ever seen?


Included with the wools was a letter from Sandy saying " I only hooked thirteen rugs last year, but several were large and one was huge."  WOW!  I'm hoping I can hook one rug and it isn't huge.  Sandy can you send me some of your energy? Sandy goes on to write "finished Edyth O'Neill's Blue Basket  Antique and then did Thankful's Bed Rugg.  It is 48 square feet and did it in 73 days and bound it in three days.  Below is a picture of the rug Sandy included with her letter.  I am thinking AppleJack and I need to make another trip to Liberty to visit my kindred spirit friend and see this incredible rug in person.  


Sandy closes her letter by saying "I would rather wear out than rust out."  Me too, Sandy.  One of the true blessings in my life is creative friends and kindred spirits who encourage me to be a better person.

1 comment: