Friday, January 13, 2012

An Apple by any other name

When AppleJack and I married, I had to learn a new language!  You see AppleJack's family owned and operated a wholesale produce business.  When we met and he told me this, I just sweetly smiled.

Well. . . was I ever naive!  I did not know this meant I would have to learn a new language.  The first time I was with AppleJack's family--Sis and Sister C and the whole flock of birds, started speaking in their native tongue--produce.  When I referred to an apple as just an apple, they were appalled!  I learned very quickly about the hundreds of varieties of apples--Arkansas Blacks, Stayman Winesap's, Gala's, Golden Delicious, Empires, and Granny Smith's.  Sweet apples, sour apples, cooking apples, pie apples, applesauce apples, mushy apples, tart apples!  They discussed the pros, cons, merits and virtues of each variety.

After the apple discussion, they moved on to potatoes.  Idaho bakers, Kennebec, Irish, Red Pontiac.  This new language continued with every dish Sis was preparing.

With Sis being a wonderful cook and hostess, there is always "food talk."  I learned very quickly if I was going to be a part of this family, I was going to have to learn the language.  Through the years, I have learned some of the language.  Mostly, I just sit back and enjoy listening as Sis, Sister C and AppleJack discuss the merits of the fruit or vegetable of the day.

Remember that famous line William Shakespeare wrote when Romeo was wooing Juliet?  A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet?  All, I'm saying Bill is be thankful you did not share this quote with the AppleJack gang.  They would have been discussing the virtues of a hybrid tea versus a floribunda.

2 comments:

  1. Your recipe was true to its name. Many thanks for sharing. Everyone was so surprised when I cut the pie and it was chocolate, they thought it was going to lemon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those must be enjoyable conversations...as a gardener I would love to listen in!

    ReplyDelete