Monday, January 2, 2012

Beating the Winter Blahs

Winter.  Winter offers a mixed bag of feelings for people.  Some people like winter, others do not.  I am growing to like winter.  I do enjoy the cold day and the snow is beautiful.  Grandmother Bessie did not like winter--she often referred to the short days as "gray days."  Grandmother Bessie liked sunshine.  Winter allows the garden to rest, allows time for me to work on inside projects, and smell soups and stews simmering on the stove.

Several years ago, the local community center offered a series of classes called "Beat the Winter Blahs."  There were dozens of different classes offered and I felt taking a class or two was a good way for me to learn something new and spend my winter time productively.  I signed up for two classes stenciling and basket making.  I had visited historical homes with stenciling and thought it was "the poor woman's answer to wallpaper."  Women have been making baskets for centuries and I took the attitude "if they can weave a basket, so can I."  Both classes were awesome!

Here are some baskets from Beating the Winter Blahs.




Here is some stenciling at Thistle Manor




This year I have decided to beat the winter blahs and the summer heat, by taking quilt classes at one of the local quilt shops.  Starting January 21st, I will have my first Jo Morton Little Women quilt class.  I am so excited!  Beautiful fabrics, opportunity to learn new techniques, meet and make some new friends, most likely some good food and a "little quilt(s)" to take home to AppleJack and Thistle Manor.

So, whether you are a winter liker or disliker, find your own way to "beat the winter blahs."

5 comments:

  1. Your baskets are fantastic, it is something I have always fancied having a go at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for doing the quilt class! I can't wait to see the WIP pics--and your new BBD hooked rug piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful baskets! I think it's a great to take a quilting class thing to do in the winter. I love to make soups during this time of year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you love the Jo Morton Little Women Club as much as I did. Her fabrics are gorgeous. I'm looking forward to seeing what you create.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your baskets are beautiful! A quilt class sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete