Monday, January 16, 2012

Peach Cobbler

 Can you believe AppleJack is not a fan of desserts?  Something just seems terribly wrong.  He isn't.  If given the choice between dessert or another serving of veggies,  he will choose the veggies. Except, when it comes to cobblers.  AppleJack is a huge fan of fruit cobblers.  His favorite is blackberry made with wild blackberries.  However, if they are unavailable, he will settle for tame blackberries.  Peach cobblers are a close second.  Not just any peach but a South Carolina peach.

I should consider myself fortunate, fruit cobblers are relatively simple to make.  Choosing to spend my time on stitching projects I look for cooking short cuts.  One of my cooking short cuts is using frozen biscuits for the dough portion of the cobbler.  The peaches are frozen South Carolina peaches.  Music City has a good Farmers Market and during the summer there are neighborhood food fairs, we make frequent visits to both.


Begin by rolling out the frozen biscuits--the thinner the better.  The dough will rise during cooking.


While rolling out the frozen biscuits, bring the peaches (unthawed) to a boil.  I add a teaspoon of vanilla to the peaches.

Line the bottom of the baking dish with one half of the frozen biscuit dough.  Spoon the peaches and juice over the top of the biscuit dough.  Note:  I do not add sugar as the sugar used to make the simple syrup is enough.



Grate nutmeg over the peaches.  Dot butter over the entire mixture.


Top with remaining biscuit dough.


Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.




Sometimes I serve this with frozen yogurt.

Stand out of the way!  AppleJack has been known to eat the entire cobbler by himself.  The man may not like desserts, but he can do some serious eating when it comes to fruit cobblers!

1 comment:

  1. My family and I are going to put on weight reading your posts.

    I am going to have to try this recipe as well xxx

    ReplyDelete