Saturday, January 21, 2012

Remembering Grandmother Rebecca

Yesterday, I wrote about Grandmother Rebecca's role and influence in my needlework.  I have a couple of samplers I have stitched in memory of her.




The design is Mary's Wreath by Barrick Samplers.  I love everything about this sampler--the simplicity of the design, only three colors, Birds of a Feather linen, and important facts about Grandmother.  Does anyone else miss the Birds of a Feather linen?  I think the frame is from Valley House Primitives.


This is a mourning sampler also stitched in memory of Grandmother Rebecca.  This was a freebie design by Hillside Samplings.  It is stitched over one.  The weeping willow represents the sorrow and dejection of the bereaved.  The weeping willow was a common motif used on American mourning samplers.  In England the weeping willow motif refers to the early death of George IV's only daughter, Princess Charlotte.

As I was writing this post, I started looking around Thistle Manor for other needlework about Grandmother Rebecca.  I could have sworn I had other pieces.  Hmmm.

4 comments:

  1. What lovely pieces in memory of your grandmother. I just love them! BOAF linen is being made again, but by a different company I think. I don't know if it's as good as the old linen or not. (I think I need to stitch that Barrick piece!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the two samplers you stitched in memory of your grandmother.
    I miss the old BOAF linen too. The stuff being produced by the new company doesn't compare at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Margaret mentioned you can still buy some of the BOAF linen colors - I use Needle in a Haystack in the San Francisco area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is wonderful to create a memorial to some one who is dear to you, each stitch represents the love you had for them.

    ReplyDelete