Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Waste Not Want Not

Waste not, want not
Every waste creates a want
Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without

My parents grew up during the Great Depression.  They were two years old when the stock market crashed on Black Friday in 1929.  Needless to say, this economic time had a great impact on their lives.  I have often asked them about the depression and their answer was always the same "we saw it better than some, and worse than others.  We never missed a meal, we were always loved."  My parents were practicing green before it became so fashionable and trendy.  My Mother is the queen of reuse, recycle, repurpose, I don't think the woman has ever thrown anything away.  Don't call Hoarders because she might qualify.

Taking a page from my Mother's book of recycling, I decided to recycle and repurpose some corduroy pants.  A make do couch throw, picnic blanket, car blanket, temporary fort, take a Sunday nap under service quilt for Applejack's very active grandsons.  The corduroy is soft and warm and will enjoy a second life.





I found a piece of flannel from my stash which will make a soft, warm back.  The long arm quilter has an acorn and oak leaf pattern which will be used for the quilting.  

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! Great use of fabrics that would have gone to waste otherwise -- it's very pretty as well as utilitarian! Nice backing too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo love the pattern you created and love corduroy! Cherish those scrap quilts.

    ReplyDelete