Friday, March 2, 2012

Grape Salad and the nearly empty dish

Being a member of a large family, being a member of a large church, and being lucky enough to have many stitching, quilting, hooking, and gardening friends, means I attend many pot luck dinners.  Pot luck dinners are great--great fun, lots of laughter and especially great food.  One of the things I have learned over the years is some of the best food I have eaten has been prepared by someone at a pot luck supper.  Another thing I have learned is to watch for nearly empty dishes.  Nearly empty dishes you say.  Yes, nearly empty dishes, because if the dish is almost empty it means someone has prepared a tasty, delicious recipe which eveyone has enjoyed.

A couple of years ago I was at a picnic and spotted "the nearly empty dish."  This is my clue to spoon some of the tasty remains onto my plate before it is all gone.  This time the nearly empty dish was Grape Salad!    WOWZERS!!!  EUREKA!!!  And slap my mama!  To say the grape salad was good does the recipe and Debbie, my friend who prepared the dish a huge injustice!  Grape Salad is a simple, super easy and delicious!

Grape Salad

2 pounds green grapes
2 pounds red grapes
4 ounces softened cream cheese
4 ounces sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans

Take grapes off the stem, wash, and place in a large bowl.
Mix cream cheese, sour cream, and vanilla in a small bowl
Stir in the grapes, coating thoroughly
In another small bowl, mix brown sugar, and pecans.
Sprinkle over the top of grapes.  DO NOT STIR IN.
Refrigerate overnight and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

Hint:  When serving this dish, stand back and avoid the stampede!  Your lovely bowl of Grape Salad will soon be an empty dish.

2 comments:

  1. This salad sounds so good that I've just got to try it!

    And I'm so jealous of your progress on AAWFAA! I keep picking it up and putting it down. You are so close. I'll bet you're almost finished with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this sounds wonderful!! I'm going to try to make it soon! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete