Thursday, December 15, 2011

Blue Christmas

Everyone has their favorite Christmas song or carol.  I have many favorites and to the chagrin of AppleJack, I have been known to sing in the car, sing with movies, and at church.  I sing loudly and badly and I make a joyful noise.  Since Elvis Presley, The King of Rock and Roll, lived at Graceland in Memphis, Tennessee, Blue Christmas is played often on radio stations during the Christmas season.  Blue Christmas became the number one hit three years after Elvis' death.  If there is any doubt about Elvis being The King, visit Graceland in Memphis on his birthday.

Well, this post is not about Elvis--it is about the color blue.  I love the color blue!  Blue and white quilts are beautiful and soothing.  Earlier this fall, Maggie Bonanomi released a book called Buttonwood Farm.  Blue is the dominant color Maggie uses in the projects.  At the International Quilt Market in Houston, Alma and Barb, the Blackbird Design girls, released a line of quilt fabric called Blueberry Crumb Cake.  Be still my heart, all the elements are in alignment--the right color, the right quilt design and the right fabric.  Whoo Hoo!!!!

Yesterday, the doorbell rang and who should appear at my door--Santa Claus.  Santa was wearing his brown uniform and driving a big brown truck, because the reindeer need their rest.  Santa, the UPS delivery man  had a package for me from Quilter's Station.  Inside this package was the Blueberry Crumb cake fabric.  With names like sky blue, robins egg blue, cake flour, falling stars and berry blue this fabric is going to be delightful to make into a quilt.


Grandmother Bessie would love these fabrics!





And maybe just maybe with some hard work and all the stars align, I will end up with a nice finished quilt like this Drunkards Path.


2 comments:

  1. I love that fabric!! I can't wait to see what you come up with for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Blueberry Crumbcake line is gorgeous. And a Drunkard's Path quilt would be the perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete