Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Power of Mother Nature

Never underestimate the power of Mother Nature!  With temperatures in the high 70's and low 80's for days and weeks, it is easy for gardeners to get pulled into Mother Nature's tricks.    I have two vivid memories of Mother Nature and her power.  One was the year, I succumbed to Mother Nature and planted tender annuals and 14" of snow fell on them!  Ouch!  Lots of work and expense for naught.  2007 Mother Nature teased everyone with warm temps and then the week of April 24 brought freezing temps which lasted more than a week.  It was a crushing blow!  My Japanese maples survived but sustained major damage. 

Last night, the temps dropped to below freezing.  This morning the roof of the neighbors house was covered with the heavy frost.  I have not planted any annuals or perennials this year, I kept telling myself to wait until after the last frost date.  Whew!  For once I listened to my own inner voice of reason and rational thought.  Next Year and yard work is calling my name.  In my brief walk thru Next Year, I have not seen any major damage.  Plants who thrive in my garden are on the get tough or die program. 

No comments:

Post a Comment