Thursday, November 13, 2014

Grandmother/Mother's Cornbread Dressing

 
 
4 cups cornbread
 
3 cups lightly toasted bread
 
1 cup chopped celery
 
1/2 -1 chopped onion
 
1 stick butter
 
1-2 teaspoons sage or poultry seasoning
 
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
 
2 cups broth
 
Saute onion and celery in butter until onions are clear
 
Coarsely crumble cornbread and cube bread
 
Combine all ingredients
 
Cook in 350 degree oven until lightly browned
 
Grandmother and Mother prepared this recipe for their family for many years.  It was always a hit.

When Mother was sharing this recipe with me she said, "it's a very easy recipe to double or triple."  Coming from a large family and a farm family, Mother and Grandmother were accustomed to cooking for large numbers of people.  When the family gathered together, the numbers were in the high twenties or thirties. 

During harvest times (cutting hay or tobacco, picking corn) or when we were working cattle, Mother and Grandmother prepared meals for the farm hands (laborers).  The farm hands consisted of six to eight men with voracious appetites.  Food was consumed by the gallons.  In order to prepare enough food, Mother and Grandmother would begin cooking early in the morning as soon as the men left to work.  The men ate huge portions and often asked for seconds.  Dad never had difficulty finding willing workers for the farm.  The workers would often say:  Yes, I'll come and work for you because I know I am going to be fed well."  This recipe has stood the test of time and gained the approved of hard working men.
 
 
 
 


9 comments:

  1. This does sound good. I make cornbread dressing, but it is totally cornbread - no other bread in it. Also, I put no flour in my cornbread. Makes it a better choice for those who might be trying to cut back on gluten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never made bread dressing. Your recipe sound delicious. What do you serve this with?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty I so love your stories ! Being "very" so-thern - we have always served cornbread dressing in my family. One of my grandmothers sisters always brought oyster dressing if it was a "family" thanksgiving and my grandmother and mother just shuddered - "I don't know why in the world she insists on bringing that oyster dressing" they would say LOL A number of years ago after my dear grandmother passed away - my mother adopted the cornbread dressing recipe from the Dillard House in the No Ga mountains and we have been enjoying it ever since. It is very similar to yours but no bread - just cornbread. I can see you are already working on your menu. Enjoy the memories and the stitching - Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds wonderful! But you need to post a picture so I can pin this to my pinterest board. lol! (Hopefully you don't object to being pinned.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a recipe I am going to copy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to use this recipe in two weeks, sounds good. I don't cook a large turkey just the breast and not inside either. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant I don't cook dressing inside the breast either!

      Delete
  7. Oh, that sounds wonderful! Do you have a favorite cornbread recipe that you use for it? May give this a try next week :)

    ReplyDelete