Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Wool Applique


I treated myself to a new book--Wool Applique by Rebekah Smith.   Her applique is detailed and her stitching techniques bring the wool/piece to life.



This is one of my favorite designs from her new book.  Rebekah brings this patriotic design to life with the different stitches.  An otherwise flat design becomes dimensional.

Antique Pomegranates
Ginger Sanchez

In a couple of weeks Liseanne Miller with P for Primitives will be coming to town for a Beat the Heat workshop. My  project for the Beat the Heat workshop is going to be this table runner.  Gulp, let's not talk about the length of time this piece has been in my stash and waiting for my attention.  With Liseanne's guidance and Rebekah's book, I hope I can bring this piece to life.  One of my new tricks for keeping the blanket stitch evenly spaced was to mark off 1/4" on my thumb. 


Some of the best parts about Beat the Heat Workshops:  shopping, good food, laughter, beautiful projects in progress and completed.

8 comments:

  1. I love the name of your retreat. The new book looks great and the examples you showed are really interesting. I should be joining you because I have the same table runner in my closet! I've always liked it. I'll be waiting to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a tease.....where is Beat the Heat being held? Your new book
    is going on my list......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great book, and I love your new project. Hope that Beat the Heat is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great book!! Good luck with the new project. It look like it will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'm jealous of your class with Lisanne but OH what a great project. I guess I didn't realize she did wool applique too. Our EGA chapter is having a mtini workshop next month on a wool applique pincushion in the "sue spargo" style. hope you enjoy your retreat. Happy July! Mel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I must have the book...it looks fabulous. Good idea with the marking on your thumb....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got that book too - I'm thinking the designs could translate easily into a hooked rug! Lots of options....

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a GEAT tip! :-) Absolutely LOVE Rebekah's book and sure wish I could be at the Beat The Heat workshop! Happy 4th to ya'!

    ReplyDelete