Thursday, December 14, 2017

Rosemary

According to myth, the Virgin Mary is said to have spread her blue cloak over a white blossomed rosemary bush when she was resting and the flowers turned blue.  The shrub then became know as the Rose of Mary.

In the Middle Ages, rosemary was associated with wedding ceremonies.  The bride would wear a rosemary headpiece and the groom and wedding guests would all wear a sprig of rosemary.  From this association with weddings, rosemary was thought to be a love charm.

The plant has also been used as a symbol for remembrance.  Mourners would throw sprigs of rosemary into graves as a symbol of remembrance for the dead.  Shakespeare's Ophelia said:  "there is rosemary, that is for remembrance."



Lemon and Rosemary Simmering Potpourri
  • 1 lemon sliced
  • 3-4 sprigs of rosemary
  • 2 cinnamon sticks (or whole cloves)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1-2 cups water

8 comments:

  1. I’m seeing a theme here. You began with welcoming Christmas decorations. Last post— beautiful and cozy red and white quilts. This post Christmas-y potpourri with a great story. I can’t wait until the snacks next time. 😀 It’s been such a joy visiting you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a huge rosemary bush at my previous house and it was right by the driveway and sidewalk. I HATE rosemary in any food but lots of times as I walked past it, I'd run my hand up a branch just for the scent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosemary is used so many ways, some people have it in their homes to ward off evil spirits, I use it to make rosemary potatoes which I love yummy, thank-you for the information about the Virgin Mary and the recipe.

    Blessings
    catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was not familiar with that sweet story. Rosemary grows into fairly large bushes out here. I am going to try that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to make your other Christmas potpourri for my stitching group gathering on Saturday. Hope you are enjoying the season ! Mel

    ReplyDelete
  6. So interesting! Thanks for the recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet this smells wonderful! Thank you for sharing. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your new decorative designs! it's so beautiful so much and good idea on site.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete