Saturday, December 9, 2017

Christmas Quilts

To make things more festive and colorful for Christmas, I brought quilts out of storage.  Depending on the time of year and holiday, my quilts rotate in and out of rooms.  When they are not on display, they are comfortably resting on a (guest) bed, no folds and out of direct sunlight.  The bow tie quilt is on the back of the sofa.  The Harry Tyler's lion print is the backing of this bow tie quilt.  It added some nice color.


Jo Morton Christmas log cabin from the book Jo's Little Favorites (Book I).  I feel in love with this little quilt the minute I saw it pictured in her book.  The fabrics used in this quilt are mostly traditional greens and reds, I added gold/yellow for interest.  If you look closely, the black center of each log cabin has a holly print.  Carol Ann, my long armed quilter did a great job with the Baptist fan on this quilt.  

The HST quilt is one of the first Christmas quilts I made.  The red and green fabric add that special Christmas look using traditional fabric.


Tumbling Blocks was a birthday gift from a college boyfriend.  He gave me the pieced top, I had it hand quilted.  The quilt had a happier ending than the relationship.


When it comes to fabric, I think I am like Will Rogers: never met a fabric, I did not like.  Being a traditional quilter, the historic prints are chosen before the Christmas print fabric with Santa, reindeer and snowflakes.  Don't let me misrepresent myself, if I find a snowflake print or holly which will blend in with any quilt any time of the year, I will choose it.  Let's don't even talk about fabric panels.  Those panels can sure make for an interesting focal point or nice additions to backings.

On cold winter nights, when the wind is howling and the left over leaves are blowing, there is noting like snuggling under a quilt with visions of sugar plums dancing in my head.  

7 comments:

  1. I love the triangles. They are all really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are never too many quilts in winter, and these are wonderfully festive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really lIke your choice of more traditional prints. The Christmas quilts are just beautiful. I store quilts on guest beds too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your quilt collection is certainly beautiful ! Enjoy them all and have a happy holiday season - Mel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing your holiday collection. The red and green hst's is lovely. I like the simplicity and the wonderful contrast of the complimentary colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how lovely!!! Love seeing all the quilts.

    ReplyDelete