Sunday, April 30, 2017

Borders

Scarlet Letter
Emma Lerch
stash linen
Ver A Soie Silks

All kinds of titles rolled through my pea brain when I was composting this post:  It's not easy being green, turning the corner, beating the boredom of borders.  Kermit the Frog would like this sampler because it has six colors of green.  I'm giving Emma a pass on her heavy usage of green and just say she was using what was available to her.  Emma, my kind of girl--even though the border looks symmetrical it is not.  A few added stitches here and there, some leaves with more stitches than others keeping me on my toes.  It matched!  No fudging!  Whew--it is the simple things in life:  a border with all sides matching, makes me a happy girl.  (Yes, I do have an iron and from the looks of Emma's wrinkled condition, it would have been a good idea to have used the iron.)


To compete with the boredom of stitching the border, I have jumped inside and started stitching the very large grassy meadow below the house.  The grassy meadow is 36 rows of stitching.  I'm not sure if animal motifs were suppose to be added or not.  My father would look at this grassy meadow and see it as one big hay field!  Maybe that is the way Emma saw it.  Stitching the grassy meadow is mindless and on those nights when the mind and body are tired it is a good way to continue making progress without a lot of thought and energy.

Normally, I stitch the border as I go.  There were several colors of fibers which I had to order for Emma and the only colors I had were the colors of the border so I just kept stitching and hoping and waiting for the other fibers to arrive.

The next Homespun Gathering is in June--Can I finish Emma in time?  

9 comments:

  1. Always a good thing when a borer meets up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma's border is beautiful. I can see why you were so glad when it matched!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful borders and even more exciting that you had no trouble getting them all to match up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma is looking good. I know you were thrilled when the borders met.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A border like that is so easy to get off--just one stitch too many or few here or there and the whole is off kilter. So glad it worked out for you. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful border, happy for you that it all matched up perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like I've missed a few of your posts - love the photos from the Jo Morton book and the M&S book and your coverlet WOW - so awesome! The "nautical" wall has some favorites - I have that Barrick Mairmaid about 1/2 finished but the 40ct is killing me. Love your new Emma sampler - nothing like a big splashy border and the fact it meets is nothing short of spectacular ! enjoy your planning and sewing too - Mel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh, do you have to remind me of Emma Lerch? I have her in my stash ready to go. Sigh. She's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the project you are doing. Is it really called Emma or is that your pet name for her ? Long ago I did nothing but cross stitch.... Now I only quilt and love it.

    ReplyDelete