Wednesday, June 10, 2020

La D Da



Bo Peep

 It has been two months since this poor neglected blog was updated!  A very kind friend  remarked to me the other day "kid, 2020 has not been very kind to you."  Toronado's in late February, the lock down of the city in March because of the Covid 19 virus and riots and looting in downtown Nashville last week has meant much sadness for Music City.  Add sickness and death and this has been the first six months of 2020.  AppleJack always said to me "you got to keep on living."  Instead of thinking about the sadness and changes the past few months have brought to my life (and everyone's life), I am searching for the happy.


La D Da (Lori Markovic) is and always has been one of my favorite designers.  Her style, the fonts of her letters, the color of the fibers she chooses just sing to my heart.  Each year at the Nashville Needlework Market, Lori usually releases a market exclusive, and that is one of the first items which goes into my shopping cart.  Home was a market exclusive in 2018.  I started stitching this after the mayor issued the Safer at Home order.  Yes, there are some missing stitches on the right side.  With everything which has happened in 2020, I am not going to add the missing stitches.  The missing stitches will be a reminder of the trials, tribulations and losses of 2020.


BlueFlower Drum was this year's market exclusive.  Lori choose a very soft, feminine, palette of colors.  It is very delicate and the Lady Dot velveteen is a perfect choice for the top of the drum.  I even managed to snag me one of Lori's counting pins for this piece.




In 2019, Lori released these scissors cube.  I purchased extra cubes, they are so easy to finish and make wonderful gifts to share with stitch friends.


These are past market exclusives:  Basket Weave Needle-Keep from 2015, Birdy Stitching Roll from 2013, and Stitchers Roll Kit from 20??.   Inside these pieces I stitched the name of Grandmother Bessie and her sisters, Maggie and Kittie.


Will add sister Bonnie to the Summertime Roll-Kit and Mother Laura to the Garden Birds box.  There is also another kit called Garden Maiden which will be for sister Allie.


Carmen, my stitch-buddy-in-crime, and I are stitching Tall House needle book.  Now that some of the restrictions have been lifted we hope to have a meet-up day.


Whew!  I've got a ways to go, best get stitching.


In the 2019 Christmas issue of Punch Needle and Primitive Stitcher, Ann Thompson of The Shepherd's Needle in Little Rock, AR announced Lori Markovic would be coming to the Fall Fling, Nov. 4th-5th or 6th-7th.  Be still my heart, I told AppleJack this was what I wanted for Christmas.  Little did I know at the time, the entire world would be turned upside down and stitching retreats, events and classes would be cancelled by the scores.  Am hopeful, the world will right itself before November and I can attend Ann's Fall Fling and spend time with one of my favorite stitching designers.


10 comments:

  1. Oh, my! So many beautiful stitcheries and such wonderful patterns.
    If you find the happy, please let me know. I am having a hard time finding it now.
    Tell your stitching partner in crime I said hi.
    Take good care :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my those are some wonderful designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stitched pieces!
    I also love Lori's designs.
    I have stitched My Sister's Garden, & Garden Maiden, waiting to be finished.
    I have several of her designs in my "to do soon" pile!
    Including the Quaker she released at market, just got the 2 silks for it.
    I've enjoyed all of your pics, thanks for sharing.
    I sure hope you get to go to the Fall Fling to meet her!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely things you shared in your post. I hope that the Fall Fling is allowed to go on as planned so you are able to attend. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of pretty things in this post. I do pray that Fall brings some normality to our world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your finishes! I wish I had purchased one of those cubes.... I do have the drum you are stitching on... The "in-person" piece looks so much more beautiful than the pic on the pattern. Very appropriate to have a few stitches missing from the Home piece... when I see the date is June.... I still think it's March! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always in awe of the beautiful stitchery you do. I think Bo Peep is my favorite here.
    Sorry 2020 hasn't been a good year for you. I am almost afraid to ask about the sickness and death that has been a part of it for you. It certainly makes your year harder than the average.
    I do hope you get to go to your Fall Fling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, 2020 has been one to remember...for all the wrong reasons. How appropos that a few stitches are missing in the house...love it. I love Lori's designs too...She is in Wisconsin like me, but I have never been luck enough to meet her in person. You've shown me some of her designs I've never seen before...well, of course I wouldn't if they were market exclusives. I finished up "Pracer" recently...well at least the stitching part LOL. I also love her scissors cubes....I don't recall that sweet bunny graphic in mine...hmmm...maybe I have an older (or newer?) version.... Stay well and safe ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  9. always loved Bo Peep! I have one of those scissor blocks to do - now where is it???? I'm sorry to hear things have been so stressful for you. The world is a very stressful place right now. Just when we are trying to get back out in the world - more cases are popping out in our area. hope you can see your friends soon. Our EGA chapter held our first in person meeting last weekend. It was so good to see friends. I hope you get to attend the retreat in the fall. we'll just keep praying - Mel

    ReplyDelete