Sunday, June 14, 2020

Flag Day 2020


In my heart and mind, I will always associate the American flag with Betsy Ross.  According to Betsy's grandson. William Canby, Betsy was visited by General George Washington, Robert Morris and Colonel George Ross in early 1776.  The purpose of their visit was to sew a flag based on a sketch:  13 red and white stripes and 13 six-pointed stars.  Betsy agreed to make the flag but suggested arranging the stars in a circle and reducing the points on each star to five instead of six.  No official documentation has been found to confirm that Betsy Ross was responsible for creating the very first flag.  Betsy attended church were both Washington and Morris worshiped.  There is evidence Betsy was a maker of flags because she was paid 14 pounds on May 20, 1777 by the Pennsylvania State Navy for making ships colors (flags).



A few years ago, Edyta Star, Laundry Basket Quilts released a pattern for a flag quilt.  My fabric stash contains lots of red, white and blue fabric and this quilt looked like it was within my skill set.  Let's not talk about time management.  Since the Fourth of July 2020 falls on a Saturday, I will have an extra day to sew.  It is usually hotter than heck the Fourth of July so a good time to stay indoors and work on this quilt.  It would be nice to move this WIP into a ready for the long arm.



Whittle's Fabrics in Smith's Grove, KY is an out of the way place and so worth the trip.  They sell their fabrics at about one-half of the price.  This is a Jo Morton fabric especially designed for the Quilts of Valor project.  I think it will make a nice backing fabric making the quilt reversible.  Am going to ask the long arm quilter to quilt with a wave pattern--simple but appropriate for an American flag.




Happy Flag Day, long may she wave!

9 comments:

  1. Such a great post. I love the historic information. The quilt will be so pretty. I actually know of Smith's Grove, KY. When I lived in Louisville and traveled every year down to Mobile to visit my Step-Mom, I saw the signs for that little town. If I remember right they also had some nice antique shops many years ago,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading about Betsy Ross. THe flag quilt is super nice. Happy Flag day to you too! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the history lesson.
    God Bless America!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, long may she wave! The flag quilt sounds like a great project...and very "fitting" it seems for this tumultuous time in our nation's history. Wishing you luck! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great info.
    The Flag quilt will be beautiful, love that backing fabric.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE LOVE Your flag quilt ! the backing you found will be wonderful. glad you re back, missed you! Mel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the backing fabric you found and love your flag block. Enjoyed the Betsy Ross information!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciated the info in this post for more than one reason. For one thing, it helped me remember that it was Flag Day and I was able to get my flag out before too much of the morning had passed.
    Also, I am intrigued by the mystery of "who made the flag?" I still think of Betsy Ross, too.
    I had to look up the pattern for the flag quilt. Very cool!
    Have shopped Whittles online, but had never really given much thought to them having a brick and mortar store. That would be a fun place to shop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post, I think we have the most beautiful flag of any country, there is no other that has the count of states on their flag, we are Blessed to live here.
    Very interesting information, I always thought Betsy ross designed it.
    We fly a flag on a pole with it lighted in the evening.
    God Bless America

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete