Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Igolochkoy

Karen Amadio Gates
Folk Art Designs
Punch Needle Miniatures
#105 Stars and Stripes

I did it!  I finally finished my first punch needle!  This is probably one of my oldest WIP's.  In 2017 I set a goal for myself to learn/improve punch needle.  

This is the back--not great, but acceptable.  The finished piece measures 3" x 3."  It was a learning piece.  I used the Igolochkoy one strand punch needle.  My two biggest challenges:  the small needle made my hand cramp and keeping the weavers cloth drum tight in the hoop.

There is lots of detail in this guy and this may be more challenging than my skill level, but he would be a great piece for fall Thanksgiving.

It is a super cold (14 degrees) super snowy day in Music City and finishing one piece has given me motivation to return to my sheep project.  Holding the Cameo needle is not as challenging as punching with the Igolochkoy.

AppleJack spray painted and distressed a cigar box for me.  With the addition of twisted cord and quilt batting it will be finished just in time to celebrate President's Day in February.


11 comments:

  1. This looks like a fun needle art to learn! I am drawn to all of them but my quilting stash prevents me from dabbling in others. I want to make ALL the things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really good to me! I never got the hang of this needle art. You seem to have no problem (other than the hand cramping). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The back of that punch needle looks great to me. I have not tried punch yet. My grand children in Huntsville had a snow day! Keep warm. Our weather continues to be very nice and warm 50's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome punch needle for your first job. I need to learn how to do this. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super cute project especially when made into the top of a vintage cigar box. I never realized there were different needles to use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s beautiful, Betty. If that were my first punch needle project I’d be very pleased. However, one can never get enough practice, so we will need to see lots of homework from you. 😊. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I've always been curious about rug hooking and needle punching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats - your first PN piece is very nice and will be a great addition to your patriotic collection. hope you get a little break from the snow and cold. Mel

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great! I'd like to give punch needle a try but that would require more hours to the day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your punch needle star is so well done! The points of the star really came out well. Congrats on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never tried punch needle your pieces are beautiful.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete