Sunday, June 26, 2016

Beat the Heat 2016

Colored Block Hooked Rug
From the book, Comfort Zone
by Maggie Bonanomi

Beat the Heat 2016 is just around the corner--July 16.  Instead of doing what I usually do waiting until the last minute I decided to get proactive and choose my project instead of waiting until the night before the event to start planning it.


I have all these left over worms from previous projects and wanted to use them up.  Words from Grandmother waste not, want not.  I also have re purposed wool from Goodwill.


Maggie Bonanomi is one of my favorite designers--love her primitive style and she never fails to give me inspiration.


Maggie did not disappoint and I found this rug in her book, Comfort Zone.  Ahhh, primitive and a way to use up my left over worms and re purposed wool.


I located my sharpie, tried as best I could to draw the 6" squares on the straight of the linen fabric.


The rug reminded me of one of the quilts I saw at the Paducah Quilt Show in April.


And this rug from the March Madness Hooking event in Franklin.

Now to locate my hook and pull some loops.

12 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Nothing better than using up those worms. But boy they sure do multiply fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to get Maggie's book. Love the projects. Keep us posted on your progress. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks like fun! I always envy rug hookers. I don't think I could do it. I need the structure of knowing exactly what to do. Rug hooking allows too much freedom. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool design! I don't do rug hooking, but I do see some really exciting pieces coming out these days. I guess there is a resurgence of interest in this craft (or else I just crawled out from under a "rug" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I envy you going to a hooking event. Doing a Maggie rug with leftovers sounds great! Like your plans so far. Hope you have a great time and a swift week and a good holiday upcoming - Mel

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a great project for your "worms". Looking forward to seeing your progress. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great project you've chosen! I hope you have a great time at your Beat the Heat session. I look forward to seeing your rug hooking in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful word to describe your leftover wool strips-worms. Yours are much more civilized than the ones in my garden. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh that rug is beautiful.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is beautiful! What a lovely idea, thanks for sharing!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great project. Love the colors in the rug

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice start on your new project!

    ReplyDelete