Sunday, May 22, 2016

Detour


With our list in hand AppleJack and I sat off with our things to be accomplished:  Apple Store (my phone died) Macy's lingerie department (someone should have prepared me for the serious price increase in a decent pair of undies) Williams Sonoma for cookie dispenser, baby blanket for a friends new baby, lunch at The Picnic Cafe, new blooming plant to brighten up the dining table, etc.

To avoid the gosh awful bumper to bumper, horn honking, hand jester traffic, we often take detours and side roads.  When I saw these barn quilts hanging on these out buildings, AppleJack slammed on the brakes and we jumped out of the car to take a closer look.  I'm a sucker for HST's.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.  Someone with an appreciation for the past had been collecting advertising signs.

Does anyone remember purchasing this brand of gas?  Or paying this price for a gallon of gasoline?

How about this one?  This one is beginning to show its age.

This was a real blast from my past:  a Farmall tractor.  Growing up on a farm, I learned to drive a tractor before I attended school.  Whether it was hauling hay, picking corn, or grinding feed there was always work to be done.  Our Model H Farmall tractor was a work horse!

Farming was hard work and we were sometimes treated to an RC Cola and a moon pie.  Anyone remember these?  I treated myself to a glass of fruit tea and chess pie from The Picnic.  Sometimes it's good to choose the road less traveled.

6 comments:

  1. How lovely to find these lovely and old items along your road! Some are very nostalgic, and the barn quilt pieces are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love taking the back roads and it is especially a treat when I spot a barn quilt. We actually have a barn quilt trail here in Michigan that I would like to drive soon. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those barn quilts are lovely. What an adventure you had by traveling the less traveled road.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great adventure. I think the road less traveled is often lots more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes Rc cola and a moon pie. The other thing we always bring home from our trips to Tenn that we can't get here is Frosty root beer. Nothing like a frosty root beer float, as you said for a treat. Hope you are having a great holiday weekend Mel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back roads are always the best option if time allows!

    ReplyDelete