Monday, April 4, 2016

Poppy Seed Chicken



Saturday is Gathering Day with the Homespun group and it's time for me to find a delicious, tasty recipe.  A few weeks ago, one of our dear friends invited us for Sunday lunch and she served Poppy Seed Chicken--it was delicious!  She kindly shared her recipe.

Poppy Seed Chicken

5 cups chicken breasts, cooked and shredded or cubed
1 cup sour cream
2 (14.5 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
2 cups crushed Ritz crackers (about 1 1/2 rolls of crackers)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 tablespoon poppy seeds

  • Preheat over to 350 degrees
  • Boil raw chicken breasts with salt and pepper until done.  Let chicken cool slightly and shred or cut into cubes.  Place chicken in a 9 x 13 casserole dish
  • Stir together the condensed soup and sour cream.  Pour over the chicken
  • In a separate bowl, stir together the crushed crackers and melted butter.  Sprinkle over the chicken and sauce.  Sprinkle the poppy seeds on top
  • Bake for 20-30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top of the casserole is browned and the sauce is bubbly.

Hope the stitch girls enjoy

7 comments:

  1. This has been a family favorite--in fact, my youngest son had me serve it when he had friends and their dates come for dinner one prom night.
    Haven't made it since I went gluten free but have finally found a sub for the canned soup that I like, so maybe I should give it another try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comfort food for sure! Sounds good as our Spring seems to have morphed into winter again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great. What did you serve with it? We are having guests next week and this might be the recipe for me to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can look at my blog to see prices, and nutritional facts of chicken at different grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds good - wonder if cheese would enhance it - I think a bag of swiss might just enhance. I'll let you know - thanks for sharing - Mel

    ReplyDelete