Saturday, February 20, 2016

South Union, KY

Shaker Village
South Union, KY

Approximately 60 miles North of Nashville is Shaker Village in South Union, KY.  It is the most southern and western Shaker Community.

The Shakers have their own individual style and architecture.  They believed in function and simplicity.

They also believed in comfort.  These wood burning stoves are found in almost every room.  The box to the right of the stove is a wood box.  I suspect they were trim--carrying wood up two and three flights of stairs would have been a work out.

This is a pie safe used for food storage.  The Civil War took its toll on the Shakers.  The Union Army disliked them because they were pacifist and the Confederate Army disliked them because they offered shelter to run away slaves.  Both Armies expected the Shakers to feed them.

They built beautiful furniture.

Cared for the elderly and orphaned children

Wove beautiful blankets and coverlets

The dreaded laundry room.  All those linen waiting to be pressed.

Aren't these window wells fabulous complete with built in window shutters.

Miniature furniture for the Shaker children.

I'll be back South Union--I hear one of those carriers from the gift shop calling my name.





19 comments:

  1. I think we need to make a side trip the next time we drive through Kentucky on our way to Hilton Head as I love Shaker-style furniture and accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have visited two Shaker villages, Pleasant Hill in Harrodsburg KY and Handcock in NY. I love the furniture and architecture. Thanks for sharing the pictures of Union Town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We visited a Shaker Village in NH when we were visiting our daughter a few years back. Those carriers and the Shaker boxes really caught my eye, but it was too early on in the trip and I didn't want to spend that much without knowing what else I would encounter. After we got home I wished I had bought one. I've read a few books about the Shakers. Fascinating lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking me along on a very nice visit to a Shaker Village.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh those woven coverlets. What an awesome place. Thank you for sharing this lovely site with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Shakers. Their furniture and other designs are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything is so neat and uncluttered - you can really appreciate the beautiful lines and quality of their handwork. Thank you for sharing your trip with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful home and furnishings!
    Thank you for sharing examples of the old Shaker living/lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I would definitely be back to get one of those boxes. What a wonderful place to visit and appreciate a simpler lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful memory. We stayed a weekend at the village outside Lexington, Ky a few years ago, and it was amazing. We've been to South Union a couple of times. The products in the gift shop can change, so I'm hoping one of my favorites is still there when we go back. If it's not, I didn't need it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh it's beautiful & I'd love to visit someday! They were truly skilled craftsmen & women!
    TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love shaker furniture and their famous boxes! What a lovely trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. there is a rug camp in Pleasant Hill - also in KY I think. Have always wanted to go there but I think I'm more of a A/C and cable TV kinda gal. I'm sure the food, surrounds and solitude are wonderful. Oh yes shaker boxes and carriers are the best ! Have a great week Mel

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a piece of History I hope no one forgets about, I read not long ago that there were only three Shakers left in the USA, So sad.
    I love all Shaker Wood products, they are simple but beautiful.
    I do hope you get the Shaker Tray for yourself.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh thank you for the nice trip. I had a friend go visit there from Calif just to buy Shaker furniture. I so appreciate the peek into their life style that you have given us. That pie safe is to beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh thank you for the nice trip. I had a friend go visit there from Calif just to buy Shaker furniture. I so appreciate the peek into their life style that you have given us. That pie safe is to beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely onto trip to share with us. Thanks so much for this peek into the life of Quakers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a bucolic setting. Even the lines of the furnishings in their simplicity seem peaceful.

    ReplyDelete