Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Rowell's Orchard


With a name like AppleJack, fall means harvest time.  AppleJack takes his apples seriously, very seriously.  He knows varieties of apples like I know needlework designs.  We took a road trip on Saturday.  Rowell's Apple House is a short detour off I-40 in Crossville.  The orchard started with "fifty reds and fifty golds."  There are now 2,500 apple trees and three acres of peaches! During our visit, we counted twenty different varities of apples and many more apples to be picked.


Early Winesap

Stayman


Mutsu  (delicious eating apple)

Grandmother Bessie was also an apple connoisseur.  Sadly, Alzheimer's had staked a claim on Grandmother Bessie's facilities before she ever met AppleJack.  In my heart, I know the two of them would have had lengthly conversations about the merits of the different varieties of apples.   Below is a favorite fall family recipe.


Apple Cake

Sift together:
3 cups of flour (All purpose unbleached White Lily is our flour of choice)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon

In a separate bowl combine
3 eggs
2 cups white sugar
1 cup cooking oil
2 teaspoons vanilla

Peel and dice/cube three cups of apples
Lightly coat the apples with a small amount of the flour mixture (it keeps the apples from settling to the bottom of the pan

Combine all ingredients and pour into 9 x 13 baking pan.  Bake one hour at 350 degrees.  Let the cake cook for twenty minutes and add glaze.


Glaze for Apple Cake

1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk

Mix together and bring to a boil.  Boil for two minutes to slightly thicken.  Pour glaze over cool (but slightly warm) cake


So. . . for anyone traveling I-40 near Crossville take the detour to Rowell's Orchard--it is so worth the time.  We will be making a second visit the end of October when the Arkansas Blacks are ready to pick.

8 comments:

  1. We will have to check into this one. My husband is "itching" to go to some place for apples!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun place! Thanks for the recipe. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apple picking -- what fun! The recipe looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can smell those apples!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMY apples! I think my apple cake recipe passed to me through my paternal grandmother is very similar (if not exact) to your family's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! I have a family recipe for Apple cake that is almost the same as yours. I have been asked many times to share the recipe including with a favorite teacher my daughters had in 4th grade. I just saw her last week for the first time in many years and she said "oh my goodness I made your apple cake last night. Everytime I make that cake I think of your sweet girls" .... Warmed my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved hearing about your apple adventure and I saved the apple cake recipe - sounds great ! Thanks Melody

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love apples! My husband is fond of HoneyCrisp ~ I like Idareds for pies! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete