Monday, June 26, 2023

The French Connection

 

I’ve been watching Adrian and Carole restore Chateau de le Ferte on YouTube.  Adrian and Carole are amazing:  motivated, disciplined, no job is too big or small for them to tackle.  From plumbing, electrical, painting, refinishing floors, landscaping and yes mucking out a stable, they do it all.  Chateau de le Ferte was built in 1854 and no one has lived in the Chateau for 20 years.  Restoring it is a massive undertaking and they are doing an amazing job.

Watching them select paint colors and fabrics and visiting brocantes has influenced me.  I purchased the Marie Antoinette panel several years ago, because I loved its whimsical nature and I have quite a stash of French General fabric.  AppleJack’s granddaughter visited France in the spring and I thought this quilt would be a nice reminder of her visit.  

French General fabrics are rich in color and design and am going to try to make the fabric do the work in this quilt by fussy cutting.  

6 comments:

  1. I will have to check out these designers since I am part French. The quilt will look nice and please make sure to us the finished piece. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be beautiful. I have a penchant for French General fabrics. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I can't wait to see your progress. My niece and I have both been working with the same panel over the past few weeks. We're still in the stages of figuring out which fabrics to use but we're having fun with it. We have lots of fussy cutting and broderie perse planned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you seen the TV show Return to the Chateau? It's been on PBS a coupe of times. About an English couple (an engineer & a designer) bought a French chateau and are restoring it and turning it into a B&B and wedding event business.

    The fabrics you've chosen are beautiful! That image on the panel always gives me a giggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction - the correct name of the show is Escape to the Chateau

      Delete
  5. Love the Marie panel. Gorgeous fabrics and I am sure the quilt will be gorgeous, too.

    ReplyDelete