Wednesday, December 26, 2018

The Happiest Time of the Year!

Ode to the Ort Basket
With Thy Needle and Thread/Brenda Gervais
Released at the 2017 Nashville Needlework Market
Limited Kit
40 ct mystery linen from stash
NPI Silks 206, 209, 346, 695,  923, 925

The time between Christmas and New Year's is one of my favorite times of the year.  Things begin to slow down a little (shopping, baking, decorating, wrapping, commitments), I take time off from my work, and there are many, many football games.  What makes the time extra special:  stitching, quilting, hooking, punching!

This Ode to the Ort Basket caused quick a kerfuffle in 2017.  It was released at the Nashville Needlework Market and there was a limited number of kits available to shop owners.  Shop owners struggled to get the kit and stitchers were on a search for the basket and design.  AppleJack helped with the painting and sanding of the basket.  It is stitched on 40 count linen, I am not a big fan of stitching on higher count linen.  I'm trying to get over my fear of stitching on the higher count linen and sticking to smaller, easier designs.

The Gift Keeps Giving #65 (2015)
Summer House Stitch Works/Beth Ann Seal
32 count mystery linen from scrap stash
Gloriana School House Red (my favorite color and silk)

At our Homespun Gathering Group in July 2019, we are having a box exchange.  I can't wait!  It is all about the box.  I thought I better practice.  I'm not happy with the way the piece fits in the box (the foam core is cut to small) and I may add some kind of embellishment (chenille or rick rack).  AppleJack helped with the painting, sanding, aging and waxing of the box--it came from Hobby Lobby.

This is the inside of the box.  Someone gifted me the flannel, I added the Lady Dot measuring twill, the scissors are from Hobby Lobby and the Needleminder is from Kelmscott.  

I am second guessing myself, I kinda wish I had added thread rings instead of the buttons.
This is not the box I will be exchanging--this is a learning piece.  Since the exchange is in July, we have a patriotic theme and since red, white and blue are some of my favorite colors, I have tons of ideas rolling around inside my pea brain.  I have already started gathering the inside contents--waiting until the last minute is not my style--I am not at my best under pressure.  

Snippet:  Thankful String
Lizzie Kate
35 count Weeks Dye Works Straw (a scrap from my stash)
NPI:  154, 184, 187, 245, 695, 865 and 904

This was suppose to be stitched and finished in time for Thanksgiving, I didn't make it for Thanksgiving 2018 but it will be ready for Thanksgiving 2019.  This is my first Lizzie Kate stitch.  It was simple, whimsical and perfect fall colors.


The board came from Hobby Lobby and am going to attempt another finish.

Am currently stitching the pig from the Prairie Schooler Barnyard Christmas, another quick stitch--one good football game and it should be a finish and then it is on to some punching.

8 comments:

  1. Your projects look good! I like your box creation. Look forward to seeing your finished Thankful String on your board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful stitcheries.I am spending my time off hooking on some rugs. Its nice just spending time on things I want to do. ;-) Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for trying the larger count. My eyes would not do 40 but I am thinking about 36. I usually stitch on 32 but I am finding it too tight and I am having trouble with my thumb joint. All the stitching is lovely. I would like to do a box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love working on high count, I was like you hesitant about high count now I only do high count, it has such a pretty look to the stitching.
    I am loving all your designs you are working on, I am looking forward to seeing the finished project on the board you bought from Hobby Lobby, I like trying new things.
    I have done a box and love the finish, your box looks wonderful, I love the top design.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I just love the idea of a box exchange !
    Your red plaid box is lovely.
    The stitching projects are beautiful.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful finishes. I’m really excited about the box exchange. No doubt there will be oodles of drool worthy gifts. I’ve had mine picked out since the day after the last Gathering. There is time to tweek here and there, but mostly I’m ready to purchase and get to work. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many beautiful stitches! Love seeing all your work. And your new kitten! So cute! I hope she adjusts to her new home well and that she heals well too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete