Saturday, February 17, 2018

President's Day

Monday, February 19th is President's Day.  In honor of George and the rest of the boys, I thought I would change the Valentine's Day decorations to more of a colonial theme. 

This is not Mount Vernon, but it reminds me of Mount Vernon, such an interesting place to visit.  This piece if from the Colonial Gatherings Club.

My colonial lady--she is a Goode Housewife piece.  Isn't it wonderful Kathy and Anne are re-releasing the Goode Housewife designs?

Harry Tyler's lion

Another Colonial Gathering Club piece, this one is from Paulette Stewart, Plum Street Samplers.

Do you think George slept under a woven coverlet?

or a quilt?  While he was freezing his hiney off at Valley Forge, I hope he was grateful for either one and appreciative of the hands who made the coverlet or quilt.

During my time off during the Christmas holidays, I listened to Hamilton (29 cds).  Listening to the story of Alexander Hamilton and his life and contributions opened and changed my mind.  There are not enough adjectives to describe Hamilton and our forefathers.  They were brilliant and flawed.  Hamilton's story made me realize politics (dirty politics) has been a part of our country's story since the very beginning.

President's Day is also a time to remember the ladies:  Martha (Washington), Abigail (Adams) and Dolly (Madison) and the women who made a selfless contribution to the USA.  

How will you be celebrating President's Day?  Stitching, hooking, quilting, watching the Olympics, dreaming of spring?

6 comments:

  1. That is a thing I love about history. When you think things are very bad, you just have to look at history. For some reason, I find that comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom’s side of the family both wove coverlets and made quilts, but I like to think the president slept under quilts. I remember seeing a documentary on Hamilton a few years back. Now, that's one impressive man. Well done on finishing all those CDs. Beautiful presidential decor. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the photo of George it is amazing and so sweet, Martha is so sweet holding a geranium in her hand.
    I would love to have a coverlet, very pretty.
    Your decorating for President's Day is perfect, such beautiful items.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing all your lovely colonial items.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your red bow tie quilt the best of all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made great progress.This is really pretty and good idea on site !

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete