Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Sheep

Did you know there are more than 100 different varieties of sheep?  The National Sheep Association classifies sheep into either meat, milking or wool variety.  Merino, Dorset, Shropshire, Suffolk and Jacob are some of the more familiar varieties.  Don't you just love those names?  The Leicester sheep with his curly hair, the Suffolk with his black face and legs, Merino which produces the softest of wools and the Lincoln with those dreadlocks.

This is my first hooked rug.  It was the first rug hooking kit I had ever purchased:  it was small and primitive and had sheep.

This sheep photo has been in my rug hooking inspiration box of ideas for years.  The photo reminds me of the photographs/portraits farmers would take of their prize winning livestock.  I have often wondered how those animals were able to hold up their oversized bodies on pencil thin legs.

When I am lucky enough to find raw wool, I purchase it for filling/stuffing for pillows and pincushions.



Here are some of the things I have learned about hooking rugs:
  • let the holes breathe--every hole does not have to be filled (don't pack the hooking) aka a tight hooker
  • every loop does not have to be even
  • make sure the linen is tight on the frame
  • all tails in one area is the weakest part of the rug
  • pick one and stick with it:  hook on the line, hook inside the line, hook outside the line
  • do not hook in straight lines
  • to keep movement in the background hook in the shape of puzzle pieces

8 comments:

  1. I learned a bit about sheep when my daughter had 4. She had two cute little black ones that I think are called Baby Dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some interested tidbits about rug hooking some of which I had never heard like the background in puzzle pieces. fun post about the "woolwoman's" favorite topic ! Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting about how many sheep there are. Only knew about the merino and Suffolk. Thanks for the tidbits about rug hooking and your sheep look great! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful sheep. They must be your favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love sheep! I've gotten a bit obsessive about them since I started knitting again. lol! Rug hooking -- now that puzzles me. How you do know where to put a loop? Not every hole -- but how often? I don't need another hobby anyway. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sheep (Ovis aries) is a quadrupedal, ruminant mammal typically kept as livestock. Like all ruminants, sheep are members of the order Artiodactyla, the ...
    ลาลีกา

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete