Sunday, February 19, 2017

Spring Bling

All over town the daffodils are blooming, it is February 19.  There are many days and nights when the temperature is barely above freezing.  The calendar says it is still winter and there is a chance of snow.  There have been years when the daffodils were blooming and there was snow on their blooms.  March 20, one month from now, is the first official day for spring.

Winter is full of browns and grays, but Spring dips into her magic box of 120 Crayola crayons  and paints the earth with dazzling yellow daffodils and forsythia, bright red tulips, chartreuse green of tender new grass, red velvet leaves on Japanese maples and sweet pinks of flowering crabtree trees, magnolia and redbuds.

In celebration of spring, I decided it was time to add a spring quilt to my little quilt/tabletopper collection.  My quilt fabric stash has many Civil War reproduction prints and I just received 26 fat quarters from Jo Morton for the LWC 16 for 2017.  There are a few 30's prints which would work but the fabric winner for my spring bling quilt is from Joanna Figueroa and her fig tree fabric.  One day while I was shopping in my LQS, her fabric caught my eye (no small feat when there are hundreds of bolts of fabric).  The fabric seemed to embody the colors of spring.  A bundle of fat quarters founds its way into my shopping cart.  

Martingdale released a new book called I Love Churn Dashes.  Jo Morton has a really sweet church dash set on point quilt in this book.  One of the patterns in the LWC 16 for 2017 is a church dash.  Ahh, the elements are coming together--fabric, pattern.  I have been reading, studying and watching You Tube demonstrations to improve my quilting skills and have added a new ruler to help with accuracy.  The church dash blocks are 3 1/2"  

I will enjoy the daffodils while they are blooming and the colors in the spring bling quilt when the cold winds return.


9 comments:

  1. Great churn dash squares, very pretty colors. There are few things as pretty as the first daffodils after winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The daffodils are gorgeous. Your quilt blocks are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daffodils are nowhere near blooming, so thanks for an early taste of Spring. : )
    I love churn dash and I love little, so those blocks are singing to me!
    What new ruler did you get, and did you feel it helped? Your blocks look very good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so taken with your spring churn dash blocks - 3.5" how very sweet and tiny ! I wish I had time to venture down that quilting highway. I'll just have to enjoy vicariously thru you and the others I know who do it so well ! Hope you are off and enjoying President's Day - Cheers mel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of fresh starts in your area and sewing room. It's nice when we get to colors with different crayons from the box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of fresh starts in your area and sewing room. It's nice when we get to colors with different crayons from the box.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such lovely Daffodils in bloom. Your spring inspired churn dash blocks are very sweet & cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love daffodils! Can't believe they are out already where you are! LOVE your spring quilt!!!! The colors! OMG so wonderful. Love churn dashes!

    ReplyDelete