Saturday, November 26, 2016

Christmas Mugs and Hot Chocolate


Finally a break in the weather!  Fall missed us this year, we had Summer I followed by Summer II.  There were many days in October when the temps were in the 80's.  Fall I missed you!  This morning when I took my walk, it was 43 degrees and it felt wonderful.  With the arrival of cooler temps comes a change in seasonal recipes.

Last year, I treated myself to one of the Christmas mugs offered by Primitive Gatherings.  Christmas mug 2015 featured a tree, mug 2016 is a snowman in frosty blue color.  Mug 2014 was a star--I missed the boat on that one.  Nothing more relaxing or warming than a good cup of hot chocolate by the fire.  Below is one of Martha Stewart's recipes for hot chocolate.


  • 4 cups milk
  • 2 split vanilla beans
  • 19 ounces semisweet or milk chocolate cut into small pieces
  • whipped cream
  • chocolate shavings
Heat milk to scalding in a medium saucepan.  Add split vanilla beans.
Let steep 10 minutes
Remove saucepan from heat, strain, and return to saucepan
Reheat milk, using a whisk, stir in chocolate until the chocolate is melted and the milk is frothy
Serve immediately with a dollop of whipped cream
Garnish with chocolate shavings

Here is an easy homemade Hot Chocolate Mix to be shared with friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc.

3 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups cocoa
1 tablespoon salt

In a large bowl, combine, sugar, cocoa and salt and whisk to combine well.  Store the mixture in an airtight container.  For individual services, pour 1 cup whole milk into a microwave safe mug and microwave on high just until hot.  Add 2 tablespoons of cocoa mix and stir to dissolve.  For a larger batch of cocoa, warm the milk in a saucepan set over medium-low heat, taking care not to let the milk boil as it warms.  Stir in two tablespoons of mix for each cup of milk.

3 comments:

  1. I really like the look of the PG mugs, but I haven't collected any--I missed all of the boats. : )
    Just came in from a walk on a nippy evening--that hot chocolate sounds really good. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely! Love those mugs. I must admit I didn't even know about them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it with collecting mugs, pitchers and baskets? We never can have enough. Or maybe it's that we women need to fill these vessels with love. Now I''m going to just have to take a look at these PG sweeties and see what they have this year. Thanks so much for sharing these recipes. They sound very tempting too.

    ReplyDelete