Monday, April 8, 2019

Prize Pumpkin

Prize Pumpkin
Threads that Bind
Shawn Williams
Copyright 2008


One of my many goals is to learn punch needle.  I keep asking myself why I choose such large projects while I am learning.  Each new project brings learning opportunities and one of the things I learned on this project is learning to punch within the lines.  How many of us were taught to color within the lines?  There is a good reason to punch within the lines--if you don't, the design is enlarged, distorting the design.

Another thing I am learning is over punching.  Thank goodness for a powerful steam iron which takes the curl out of the punched piece and returns it to a flatten shape.



This is a hooked rug called Sunday Social also designed by Shawn Williams.  I saw this rug at the March Madness event held at Montgomery Bell State Park hosted by Liseanne and Ron Miller.  Yes, I have the punch needle version in stash and since sheep pieces seem to call my name, this is a contender for my next punched piece.


The Old Mercantile stocks bread boards and I thought this piece might look good mounted on one of their bread boards.  There is no lack of projects to select from.


When I punch I like using all six strands of fiber--I want my punched pieces to look like miniature rugs.  Punch needle eats up fiber like candy!  This is a good thing because instead of purchasing more fibers I am selecting fibers from my stash.  Judy, one of my stitch sisters keeps an ort jar--I'm keeping the thread labels to mark my progress.

Now that I have a couple of pieces under my belt, I am punching with more confidence.  For me, punch needle is very relaxing (no counting required) and there is something very soothing about the sound of the needle punching into the fabric.


9 comments:

  1. I especially love Sunday Social, but each of these projects is a winner as far as I am concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous punch needle pieces you have created! Hard to believe that you are a novice; both are exceptionally punched!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work looks nice...better than I could do. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely. Do you have any suggestions about tools? I am thinking oft trying it. Thanks also for telling us about things you have learned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I mentioned I purchased that same pumpkin piece last time I visited Pattern Hutch in Pigeon Forge. You did an awesome job on it - sure looks like you are a punching expert now ! I agree doing something easy, soothing is what draws me in. I need to get back in the mode of trying punching again but I would need a restart. It's just easier to pick up my familiar knitting than delving into something I can't do well. With that said - I certainly have some cute spring/easter punch needle pieces. glad you are back in blogland - Mel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love punch needle, I took lessons years ago, have not done any punch since, I should get my tools out soon and get to work.
    You chose a lovely design, I think a bread board is a perfect item to mount a punched piece.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're working on beautiful projects! I've only punched one very small piece but found it enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I’d say you are a well-seasoned puncher....you piece look great!!! I love. The hooked rug too.... I do love punching....and. The fact that I don’t have to think (much). Funny that you say you find the sound of it soothing... I have to wait until my husband is gone or in bed as it bugs the dickens out of him LOL.... ~Robin~. (Really love that Tattered Flag pattern...I may have to do that one!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How similar are rug hooking and punch needle? I guess the big difference is the tool you use, right? Well, I love your work! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete